Friday, February 21, 2014

I Like Big Brains and I Cannot Lie (Part II)




If you missed part one, click here.

I’ve been so amazed at how many people have reached out to me wanting to help me in some way and just how many people are praying for me.  There are no words to describe how incredibly blessed I am feeling right now.  Please know that even if my responses are short, you’re not going unnoticed and definitely not genuinely appreciated.

A lot of people have asked a ton of questions, I’ll do my best to try and answer them here.

When is your surgery?

I don’t have a date yet; I meet with my surgeon on Wednesday the 26th in the morning.

So, how do you know you’re having surgery if you haven’t met with your surgeon yet?

Because I’m psychic, or psycho? No, it’s because I have a gap in my skull that can only be repaired with surgery and it must be repaired.  When I went to have it checked out before, I was informed that having a plate put in my head is the best and really the only option.  Nothing physically has changed (my skull didn’t magically close up because I can still feel the gap) except that my symptoms are much worse than they’ve ever been.

How do you feel about all of this?

I went into writing this blog with the understanding that I would be painfully transparent, so here goes.

Sometimes I deal with this realization really well and sometimes, not so much.  Sometimes I am so positive and strong I make myself want to puke, other times, I want to drink myself into oblivion and pretend it’s not happening to me.  How’s that for transparency?

My neurologist explained something very important to me about chronic pain, it automatically comes with depression, especially when you’ve dealt with it as long as I have.  Most of the time, I just want to sleep, partly because my body is so worn out and partly because I can’t dwell on it if I’m unconscious.

Most of the time, I’m completely overwhelmed.  Sometimes I feel like I’ve been on this part of my journey to healing for a year, other times, it just feels like 5 minutes.  Getting in to see my surgeon so quickly is a positive thing and an incredibly terrifying notion that I might have a surgery date as soon as Wednesday morning. 

I walk the thin line between relief and horror on a pretty constant basis.  I feel like I’m on the edge of just freaking out at just about any given moment.

However, those are just feelings- powerful ones, but still, just feelings.  They’re not a good representation of how I’m actually dealing with things.

In those times where I’m overwhelmed, like right now, this very minute, I get alone with God.  I have found myself at yet another place where I must be in His presence just to breathe, just to function, just to feel any peace at all.  It’s in His presence that we’re made whole. 

I get alone with Him, I pour my heart out to Him, I voice my fears, my worries, my joys, my hurts, my frustrations, my everything to Him…and then, I listen.  I wait for Him to speak to my overwhelmed and weak heart.  I wait for Him to meet me there and embrace me and just make it all okay.  And He does.  Never once have I not received what I really needed from Him.

I couldn’t do this without being in His presence and having an intimate relationship with Him.

No matter how I might feel, I completely, 100%, totally, recklessly trust God to take care of me.

You don’t seem like you’re in pain…

I was paid a tremendous compliment the other day (I think he meant it that way), “You don’t seem like you’re in pain, ever.”

I’ve worked very hard to not burden anyone with my physical pain, because honestly, it won’t do anyone any good.  I grew up in a family where we didn’t talk about my injury much, for whatever reason, and it certainly was not an excuse to be lazy.  Now, if there were days where I was in debilitating pain, my parents were understanding and compassionate, but other than that, it just wasn’t discussed.  The theory in our house, was even if you don’t feel good, you still have to get up and work because no one else is going to do it for you.   That’s just how I’m wired.  I try not to complain a lot, and I always manage to just get up and do what needs to be done regardless of how I feel.

If you want to know the truth of the matter, most days, it takes more effort than you can imagine to just get out of bed and pretend to be a functioning adult. 

I’ll be glad to put those days behind me.  I’m ready to actually have the energy I pretend to have, I’m ready to not be exhausted all the time and dealing with a throbbing head 24/7.  I would love to know what that feels like because I honestly don’t have any idea.

My doctor put it to me like this: What takes a normal, healthy person 100% effort to do takes me at least 125% to just get accomplished.  That’s not even doing it well.
I’m excited to see how much better I am at my life when I don’t feel like this all the time.

How can I help you?

This is probably the most popular question I’ve gotten so far and I don’t have a great answer for it because honestly, I don’t know.

Pray.  Pray that I will have wisdom and discernment to make the right choices for all the responsibilities I have in my life; pray that I will not be overwhelmed all the time; pray against a spirit of anxiety- I war against it on a constant basis; pray that when I feel weak, I will not let the enemy come in a whisper lies to me, and when I fail and he does, I believe the exact opposite (he’s a liar, so the opposite is the truth).  Pray that the obstacles in my family will be worked out and that more and more stress will be taken off of me.

I will tell you how you can help me once I actually have surgery though- my moms (Debbie and Sadie Ann) will need rides to the hospital, wherever that might be, possibly every other day or so.  I might very well be in Dallas or Plano, or who knows, but that would take a HUGE load off my mind while I’m in the hospital.  It probably wouldn’t hurt to have a few meals brought for them while they’re with me in the hospital because we all know that hospital food blows.

I have a really good friend, Alicia that will be coordinating meals and probably visitation for when I’m home.

That’s plenty for now, thanks for hanging out with me and hearing my heart.  I still have lots more to share and will do my best to keep everyone updated as I know things.

Thank you for loving me, from the very bottom of my heart.  I have the best people; seriously, no one has better people than I do.

Be blessed, y’all!

Pamela

He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters.

Psalm 18:16 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment