Monday, November 26, 2012

Today, I Am Thankful...


 

"I will offer to You the sacrifice of thanksgiving,
And will call upon the name of the Lord."
Psalm 116:17 (NKJV)

 

Today, as I sit going over my bills, I’m discouraged.  I work so hard and it just isn’t enough some days and for anyone that’s been there and done that, it can be really disheartening.

However, I realized that I have a choice here.  I can either be discouraged or I can be truly thankful for what I do have.  The word says to count our blessings so that’s exactly what today’s post is about.

I love this time of year and I hate the fact that the retail world has tried to completely bank on the Christmas holiday and overlook Thanksgiving altogether.  In my opinion, Thanksgiving should the most celebrated holiday of the year- yes, I love celebrating my savior’s birth, but think about it- I’m thankful for it.  I’m grateful for it. 
So, as therapy and a good reminder for myself, here’s my list…

·         I’m thankful that I have 2 jobs when there are some that have none.

·         I’m thankful that I can work more hours when I need to.

·         I’m thankful that while I might not be able to eat out as much as I want to, I still have plenty of food in my cabinets, even if it’s not what I really want to eat.  There are others that do not.

·         I’m thankful I have a bank account.

·         I’m thankful for direct deposit and bill collectors that are willing to work with you on due dates.

·         I’m thankful that I have clean clothes to wear and that some of them are too tight- means that I’ve had plenty to eat.

·         I’m thankful that I have my own little fan club of doxies that meets me at the door every time I walk in like they haven’t seen me in too long; even if I have just taken the trash out.

·         I’m thankful that Chest is anxious to be fed- it shows that he trusts me enough to know that I will take care of him.

·         I’m thankful that Daisy craves cuddle time with me on the couch and that she gets as close to me as she can. 

·         I’m thankful that their love for me is unconditional, even when I don’t have enough time to just be with them.

·         I’m thankful that I’m able to go to school, while one of my classes is a drag sometimes, I get to have dinner with a very special lady every week before that class and we can endure it together.

·         I’m thankful for student loans (ugh) without which, I wouldn’t be able to go to school.

·         I’m thankful for my grown up job- the benefits are amazing and I work with a good, albeit eclectic group of people.

·         I’m thankful for a boss that doesn’t breathe down my neck or belittle me on a daily basis; I know folks who work in hell every day and I’ve done it myself.  Not fun.

·         I’m thankful that I have heat and electricity and water in my house and that I can afford to keep them all turned on all the time.

·         I’m thankful that I don’t have any serious health issues.

·         I’m thankful that I have my family.

·         I’m thankful that I have two moms and while they can’t be together and it makes my life difficult sometimes, I’m grateful that I have two women that love me and want my time and attention.  So many don’t have their mothers anymore.

·         I’m thankful for the memories and good stories I have of my dad.

·         I’m thankful for friends that keep me on track and keep me encouraged.  I’m thankful that they’re more than understanding about school and work and my psychotic schedule and that they don’t forget about me when I don’t have time for them.

·         I’m thankful for spiritual influences that continually point me to the Father, even when I just want a simple answer to my questions.

·         I’m thankful shoes.  They make my heart happy.

·         I’m thankful for my Father.  I’m extremely grateful that I know who I am and just how important to my Father I am. 

·         I’m grateful that my name is written on the palm of His hand.

·         I’m grateful for salvation, grace, and mercy that never ends.

·         I’m grateful for freedom from religion and legalism.

·         I’m thankful for freedom of speech and the ability to express myself.

·         I’m grateful that there is no condemnation in them who serve the Lord.

·         I’m grateful to live in a free country where I still have the right to vote.

·         I’m thankful to have the knowledge that even if the leadership of my country is not doing what I think they should, my God is still bigger than anything that may come against me.

·         I’m thankful for the ability to ‘do’ my life.  It takes a great deal of stamina and patience to do what I do on a weekly basis.

·         I’m also thankful that by the end of the year, it won’t be so hectic.

·         I’m thankful for coffee.

·         I’m thankful for friends that keep me laughing every time I talk to them.

·         I’m thankful for random texts from people that I love.

·         I’m thankful for birthdays and the fact that I’m still 29. J

·         I’m thankful for wine and yes, a nice ice cold beer.

·         I’m totally thankful for pie and cookies.  And chocolate.  And fat.  So thankful for fatty foods.  Like Pizza.

·         Really thankful for pizza.

·         I’m thankful that I have so many people in my life that need and want my attention.  I know there are many who are lonely.

·         I’m thankful for music!

·         I’m thankful for movies that move your soul.

·         I’m thankful for puppies.

·         I’m thankful that my list is so long and continues to grow.

·         I’m thankful that I know that no matter how bad things look today- there’s always tomorrow.

·         I’m thankful for the healing of old wounds.

·         I’m thankful for a sense of humor that allows me to laugh at past mistakes.

·         I’m thankful for being able to trust.

·         I’m thankful that I was able to get the one thing I wanted on Black Friday and I didn’t even have to bite anyone to get it.

·         I’m thankful that at the end of the day I’m exhausted, because I know I’ve done something productive that day to warrant that exhaustion.

·         I’m thankful that on Thanksgiving I was so full I was miserable; it means that I had too much to eat.  Many did not.

·         I’m thankful for stretchy pants.
 
"This is the day the Lord has made;
We will rejoice and be glad in it."
Psalm 118:24 (NKJV)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment